Ban Jet Ski's and Personal Water Craft from the Colne Estuary

Forums Club Racing Ban Jet Ski's and Personal Water Craft from the Colne Estuary

Author Posts
November 17, 2016 at 11:36 am #3390

FB211
Participant

https://www.change.org/p/brightlingsea-harbour-commissioners-ban-jet-ski-s-and-personal-water-craft-from-the-colne-estuary-db75c451-c7b7-41c3-a193-cc6856fa6bf3?recruiter=97635840&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

November 20, 2016 at 12:34 pm #3403
Dan W
Dan W
Participant

We all get annoyed with jet skis buzzing around, particularly in light airs. However, a ban is a bit harsh!!. It is akin to fishermen wanting to ban us sailing as we sometimes snag their fishing lines with our centreboards. I think as a club we need to be a bit careful commenting on jet skis/ power boats speeding in the creek as we go flying into the turning mark at up to 10-15 knots!! We are opening ourselves up for criticism.

Having said that, this is the first post on the forum for 2 months so maybe a bit of debate may get the forum moving – sailing is cancelled and it is miserable outside!

November 20, 2016 at 5:39 pm #3404

FB211
Participant

I don’t think it is akin to the fisherman scenario at all; that is a minor inconvenience whereas the complete disregard of other water users shown by most jet ski’s is a significant danger. We’ve all witnessed jet ski’s showing off in the creek while our young cadets are sailing, paddleboarding and swimming.

Regarding our fast boats I understand your argument. However they are helmed by competent people with due regard for their own and others safety and an understanding of the Colregs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.