LASER OPEN MEETING 2015

Forums Events LASER OPEN MEETING 2015

Author Posts
April 11, 2015 at 9:30 pm #2000
Tony
Tony
Participant

There seems to be No Laser Open Meeting in our Racing Calendar this year, surely this is an unfortunate clerical error, or does the “Club of the Year” have no interest in supporting the Olympic Laser, the most popular Racing Dinghy in the World ?

April 13, 2015 at 12:07 pm #2006
MikeBz
MikeBz
Participant

I see we have a Masters Qualifier – it’s great for the club to hold a prestigious event such as this, but it’s sad that a significant chunk of the strongest fleet in the club doesn’t have a local open meeting to sail in (especially with all the effort going in the Transition Squad which is now boosting the Laser fleet).

April 13, 2015 at 1:09 pm #2008

Julie
Participant

I agree, fantastic we’re hosting the Masters, but equally such a shame there’s not a normal open meeting.
Can we do something about this?

April 13, 2015 at 2:27 pm #2009

finclark
Participant

I agree seems such a shame to loose an event that, to especially young brightlingsea laser sailors, is a great event to learn from and get started in. Shame to miss it. Would be great if something could be done ?

April 13, 2015 at 3:00 pm #2010
Tony
Tony
Participant

I’m pleased to see a good response we’ve got to stand up for ourselves !
I am writing to David Charlton to see what can be done.

April 13, 2015 at 5:36 pm #2011

DaveC
Participant

Ok Tony, nice see you vocal again!

As I said at the Weekend, we have included a Laser open – as a separate start during the Laser Master weekend. This required a little bit of arm twisting with the association but not a lot.

The sailing committee did consider the inclusion of a separate Laser Open but thought this solution was fairer to the rest of the membership in terms of commitment to a class.

This may not be as well publicised as it might since we have not had a Laser rep turn up at a sailing committee within recent memory.

I could do with some help with the organising e.g. prizes for the Open meeting part, publicity, liaising with the class association? Any help welcome.

regards

David Charlton
VC Sailing

April 13, 2015 at 7:10 pm #2013

Chris Rust
Participant

Hi everyone
Good to see the rest of the fleet get an open however I feel that there needs to be a separate event (another weekend) from the masters which can easily put in with for example the merlin open weekend.

1) The masters is a very top level event mainly sailed by ex circuit sailors (trust me, seen it for myself, very good sailing !). The open meeting is far more accessible to our fleet along with a good number of visitors , many over 35s will not want to pay the high entry fee (along with weekend temporary laser association fee) to compete in the masters however a few might, meaning an instant split of our fleet and visitors which instantly reduces numbers .

2) As I said the masters is a world qualifier and a very serious event, the association will not look kindly on us trying to bolt on a local open meeting to this focused regatta.

3) MONEY – Putting a laser open in with the Merlin’s or Ok’s for example will cost not extra to the club however will produce 25 x single hander entry fees. Easy way to raise some cash for rib fuel, pyefleet week social fund etc
(Could get another band from just 1 open !)

Could having a separate event be done ?

Thanks
Chris

April 13, 2015 at 7:10 pm #2014

bparsons
Participant

It does seem odd not to have a proper open for the largest fleet in the club. Of course Masters events are welcome, but to preclude older members from an open event due to not having two separate events, seems both ageist and unfair on our younger members. To win the open without the full range of participants makes it a neutered event. it will also make it harder to reinstate in future years as a proper open for all in future years.

April 13, 2015 at 7:12 pm #2015

stevo
Participant

Is it possible that this could be run alongside the merlin open in September? Seems the most logical way around it.

A separate open alongside the laser masters will mean our over 33s cannot compete in it as they will be doing the masters. Over 33s make up the majority of our fleet and as you seem to peak as a brightlingsea laser sailor around 50 years of age the oldies deserve a shot at winning the crown.

What does everyone think re. September with the merlins??

April 13, 2015 at 7:28 pm #2016

Chris Harvey
Participant

I agree with Chris and Steve. Arranging a laser open alongside the Merlin open in September would seem to be a good idea. Other than laying on an extra rescue boat or two the extra cost to the club would be minimal. I seem to remember the club hosting a laser open on the same day as another class in the not too distant past.

It would seem a shame for one of the largest fleets in the club to loose a historically well supported event.

April 13, 2015 at 8:53 pm #2017

DaveC
Participant

Ok

Firstly should you wish to enter the Open rather than the Masters that is fine. Racing will be available.

Secondly the stats for Laser attendance over the last few years
2014 19 entrants including 4 visitors
2013 18 entrants including 1 visitor
2012 7 entrants no visitors Saturday only
2011 20 entrants including 4 visitors
2010 16 entrants including 3 visitors
2009 21 entrants including 2 visitors
Visitors were generally not placed in the top 5.

We are running a full programme club racing the weekend of the Merlin open. Additional fleets/numbers requiring more of our RIBs and people to sit in them is not an option

Finally there is no reason why running it the way we are will preclude there being a separate Laser event in a future year.

Regards
David

April 13, 2015 at 9:08 pm #2018

Chris Rust
Participant

Would there be potential to have it alongside the fireball/ok open weekend as an alternative as no club racing is scheduled for that weekend ?
Regards

April 14, 2015 at 5:42 am #2019
Tony
Tony
Participant

Some of us have worked for years to get the Club back in favour with Laser, and to get a Masters Super Series Event is a Fantastic achievement.
However I know that getting them to bend their rules will weigh heavily against us when we try to Host any prestigious Events in the future.
We must stop this farce before its too late and we lose our hard earned credibility . . .
You can’t put inexperienced sailors out on the same course with some of the Best Laser Masters in the World Just to save few quid !
It’s Preposterous and will end in tears . . .
It Must to be changed, and changed Right Away.
There has to be a totally separate Laser Open Meeting, just like there has been for 40 years.
We Have to agree on that simple fact, choose a suitable weekend, and then i’ll sort it out with the Laser Association.
Having two Separate Open Meetings is not a hardship, its a bonus, another chance to make more money and gain further prestige.
Historically some good new members have come from our Open Meetings (ever heard of Ray Davies ?), as they bring people in, earn good money for the Club, and of course, are the Highlight of the Year for most of us !
Let’s just get this Agreed please Dave, then we can work on making sure that both events are a great success.
Cheers
Tony

April 16, 2015 at 10:50 am #2020
Tony
Tony
Participant

Good Morning,
David, you say that giving us Lasers a Separate Open Meeting is “Unfair on the rest of the Membership” however the Merlins have an Open Meeting and there are only 4 (Four) of them . . .
This is Grossly more unfair than us having one for our 45 boats !
The Dinghy Park currently has 162 boats in it, a whopping 28% being Lasers, and a tiny 2.5% are Merlins (Clearly a dying fleet), although if you have had 4 Merlin Sailors on the Committee, it seems you can get whatever you want !
We now have many New Faces in our Fleet and also a new Fleet Captain; with that and our renewed enthusiasm I am Certain we can get more boats out than in recent years . . .
The Masters Event has Nothing to do with our Open, So it is only Right and Fair to Reinstate our Annual Laser Open Meeting without further ado.
I look forward to your Positive Reply.
Thank you
Tony.

April 23, 2015 at 11:09 am #2026
Tony
Tony
Participant

This is a Very Important Issue for the Club and the Whole Laser Fleet, we are all waiting for a Reply on this please.
Thank you,
Tony.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.