Low tide starts, remember ?

Forums Club Racing Low tide starts, remember ?

Author Posts
March 26, 2015 at 11:30 pm #1973
Growbags
Growbags
Participant

Those that know me will know memory isnt my strong suit, but as I recall about a year ago we reverted to 2pm starts regardless of tide times.

There was a vote, which was narrowly won, and we said we’d look at numbers on the startline over the year to see if there was a difference.

Well, its about a year on, so I wondered about those numbers compared to previous years ?

March 27, 2015 at 12:00 pm #1974

DaveC
Participant

Hi Graham

Se the attached link. This was data was generated in November after this years programme was finalised. There is some influence on the number of racers but less than the day to day variation. The slides show the number of racers as a function of start time in relation to HW negative time means the start was before HW positive means the start was after HW

Cheers

David

March 27, 2015 at 12:01 pm #1975

DaveC
Participant

OK so that link didn’t work – try this one

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E94ACA9113C6ECD1!1184&authkey=!AK0DkQCuixwEMfo&ithint=file%2cpdf

March 28, 2015 at 9:17 am #1980
Growbags
Growbags
Participant

Thanks Dave, no-one can accuse you of not having the data !

I’d be interested to see it compared to 2013, as there is the “weekend” factor for people like us. For example if its a low tide weekend we wont come here at all favouring somewhere we can sail our kind of boats – one moved start time wont sway that decision but two will.

I’ve no doubt we’ll chew this over at the bar sometime, but would I be right in concluding that the little difference isn’t enough to cause any change this year ?

G

March 28, 2015 at 7:45 pm #1983

DaveC
Participant

You would be right about this year especially as the programme is published in Dutyman and the Calendar – we fixed that back in August/September last year. However I think a bit of lobbying, and if the numbers for the early part of this year look the same, could see it follow the tides next year. The interesting thing is that starts before HW are more favourable than at HW! obviously the race takes 1 1/2 hours but…

Cheers

David

March 30, 2015 at 7:08 pm #1987
MikeBz
MikeBz
Participant

There is a danger here of drawing conclusions from too little data (just as we do with handicaps).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.